My Dog Space
Dog Massage – Indulge Your Dog By Giving Him A Pet Massage (Part 1)
Besides giving your dog love and attention, another great gift that you can give is a soothing pet massage. A pet massage, just as the name suggests, is a type of physical therapy that is similar to acupressure or chiropractic care.
This type of pet bodywork gives your dog an instant gratification of comfort, relaxation, and the feeling of being loved. When given to your dog on a regular basis, a pet massage helps minimize his sensitivity to touch, either by you or a stranger. This makes him easier to groom, handle, and also makes it faster and easier for the vet to examine and treat him.
The growing popularity of pet massage makes it widely available all over the country, especially if you live in a major city. However, you can learn the basic technique of this type of bodywork and give it to your dog, making the experience more enjoyable for the both of you.
Treating your dog to a relaxing pet massage is an excellent way to bond with him. Not only will he love the way it feels, but he will appreciate the time and attention that you are giving him, a true treat that will make your dog’s heart melt with joy.
Below is a simple step-by-step procedure to giving your dog a relaxing massage, starting from the top of his head down to his muzzle.
1. Call your dog and tell him to sit.
2. Ease your way into the massage. Start by giving him a light caress the way you would normally do. This way, he won’t think that you are about to do something different that might probably scare him away.
3. Give him an overall petting, from head to toe. Apply firm but gentle long strokes. The stroking prepares his muscles for more intense work and makes your dog feel more relaxed. Do this for about two more minutes.
4. Put your hands over his head, moving one hand gently underneath his muzzle while your other hand is stroking the top of his head.
5. Next, massage his ears, one ear at a time. Your dog’s ears contain a lot of nerve endings and massaging them will feel very good to him. Do this for at least one minute per ear.
6. Lightly massage his forehead for about 30 seconds, sliding down to his cheeks also for 30 seconds, and then to his muzzle for another 30 seconds.